Friday 18 February 2011

MA - Homage Project

he brief of my first project is; 'Homage, Genre Subversion and Remediation'. 

When I started thinking about the idea of 'homage' lots of things came to mind, I decided it would be a cool idea to maybe do a homage to an artistic style and also to a different content, by combining the two I could make an effective homage to both subjects but also develop them in a way neither had done before. 

The most obvoius influence i'd want to pay homage to, as an apiring animator, is the Walt Disney company. I think any professional animator would say their work has influenced them in some way and it certainly did with me. However because of this it's a rather obvious choice. This is when I started thinking about using the content but staying away from the Disney style and go in a different direction with that. I have admired the style of the Comfort conditioner adverts for a few years now and throughout my BA I always wanted to do something similar but never had the opportunity to do anything that paid homage to this. 

I liked the idea of taking some Disney content and producing it in 3D but using the everything-is-made-out-of-fabric style of the Comfort ads.

Here's an example of the Comfort adverts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYOtfK7bees
Below are four pieces of concept art which I did over the course of the week to experiment with how different character would work in this style.






In the end I went with Maleficent, below are a few renders after making her in 3D. This was a lot harder than I thought, converting a 2D character into 3D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Fabric textures are a combination from these sets: 

http://fudgegraphics.deviantart.com/art/Fabric-Textures-Pack-95442514?q=boost%3Apopular%20fabric%20textures&qo=2

http://ormanclark.deviantart.com/art/High-Res-Fabric-Textures-182315104?q=boost%3Apopular%20fabric%20textures&qo=20
www.CGtextures.com

Made with help from this great set of stitch brushes:

http://aneesah.deviantart.com/art/Stitches-Photoshop-Brush-11268440?q=boost%3Apopular%20stitch%20brush&qo=4

No comments:

Post a Comment